How to Treat Hypothyroidism Without Medication
Hypothyroidism is a condition brought about by the malfunctioning of the thyroid gland. The thyroid gland is responsible for maintaining the body’s metabolism in order by supplying hormones. If left untreated this condition can result to heart attacks, strokes or high cholesterol. Treating hypothyroidism may take a long time. Patience and commitment are required in the process. If you are looking for ways to do this naturally, the following effective ways on how to treat hypothyroidism without medication are guaranteed to help:
- Proper diet. One of the major causes of hypothyroidism is poor diet. Make sure that you eat foods such as whole grains, nuts, seeds and seafood. These foods contain nutrients that are essential for the proper functioning of the thyroid gland.
- Increase your protein consumption. Protein aids in the transportation of thyroid hormones to all the body tissues. Including proteins in all your meals will be effective in normalizing the functioning of the thyroid gland. Include foods such as eggs, nut butters, grass-fed meats, legumes and fish in your diet.
- You should also try embracing a natural diet. Eliminate processed foods, artificial flavors, white sugar, and high fructose syrup among other foods that pose a threat to your immune system.
- Say NO to Soy and its products. These include tofu, soy milk, energy bars, fake meats among other soy products. Soy has the ability to suppress the functioning of the thyroid gland and brings about the imbalance of the hormones. It has been shown to cause about goiter, which is the enlargement of the thyroid gland.
- Increase your iodine intake. Increasing your iodine intake is one important way on how to treat hypothyroidism without medication. The thyroid gland requires iodine in order for it to function well. You can up your iodine intake by taking a bladder wrack or kelp supplement. However if you are allergic to iodine you can skip this step.
- Balancing the Estrogen levels for women. Research has it that women are more likely to suffer from hypothyroidism than men. One way on how to treat hypothyroidism without medication especially when it comes to women is by stabilizing the estrogen level. Too much estrogen slows down the functioning of the thyroid gland. Therefore birth control pills should be eliminated, non-organic meat avoided and a high fiber diet embraced. Dairy consumption should also be reduced because milk contains a lot of estrogen.
- Tyrosine and Arginine supplement. Tyrosine is a natural amino acid which helps in the conversion of iodine to thyroid hormone. When taken as a supplement it increases the production of the thyroid hormone, treating hypothyroidism.
- Arginine is well known to simulate the thyroid gland and its hormones. It is also efficient in improving the immune system.
- Exercise. Engage in physical activities that you enjoy and are good for your overall well being. Without proper exercise you cannot achieve your desired health status.
- Practice relaxation. Try as much as possible to eliminate whatever sources of stress you may have. The thyroid gland is very sensitive and thus very reactive to stress.
You should also make sure that you get constant medical checkups from the doctor in order to ascertain that the mentioned ways on how to treat hypothyroidism without medication are really working.